Installing the vSphere Client
The vSphere Client is a Windows-only application that allows for connecting directly to an ESX/ESXi host or to a vCenter Server installation. The only difference in the tools used is that connecting directly to an ESX/ESXi host requires authentication with a user account that exists on that specific host, while connecting to a vCenter Server installation relies on Windows users for authentication. Additionally, some features of the vSphere Client-such as initiating VMotion, for example-are available when connecting to a vCenter Server installation.
IvSphere client on 64bit operating system|
Although the vSphere Client can be installed on 64-bit Windows operating systems, the vSphere Client itself remains a 32-bit application and runs in 32-bit compatibility mode.
You can install the vSphere Client as part of a vCenter Server installation or with the vCenter Server installation media, however, the easiest installation method is to simply connect to the Web Access page of an ESX/ESXi host or
vCenter Server and choose to install the application right from the web page.
If you're having problems connecting to the Web Access page of your newly installed ESX/ESXi host, it might be because of an incorrect Service Console/management network configuration. Perform the following steps to install the vSphere Client from an ESX/ESXi hosts Web Access page:
1. Open an Internet browser (such as Internet Explorer or Firefox).
2. Type in the IP address or fully qualified domain name of the ESX/ESXi host from which the vSphere Client should be installed.
3. On the ESX/ESXi host or vCenter Server home page, click the link labeled Download vSphere Client.
4. You can save the application to the local system by clicking the Save button, or if the remote computer is trusted, it can be run directly from the remote computer by clicking the Run button.
5. Click the Run button in the Security Warning box that identifies an unverified publisher
6. Click the Next button on the welcome page of the Virtual Infrastructure Client Wizard.
7. Click the radio button labeled I Accept the Terms in the License Agreement, and then click the Next button.
8. Specify a username and organization name, and then click the Next button.
9. Configure the destination folder, and then click the Next button.
10. Click the Install button to begin the installation.
11. Click the Finish button to complete the installation.